Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Reb Bradley: Blind Spots for Homeschoolers
The Fall 2011 The Virginia Home Educator (the HEAV news magazine) has a good article by Reb Bradley titled, "Crisis in Homeschooling: Exposing Major Blind Spots of Homeschoolers" (pp. 8-12). This article is an edited version of a longer 2006 essay that can be read online here.
Bradley speaks honestly and plainly about blind spots for many homeschoolers. I could certainly see how I personally and my family have also failed in some of the areas Bradley discusses.
Bradley's 9 Blindspots for Homeschoolers (the online version lists 7 blind spots):
1. Having self-centered dreams.
2. Raising family as an idol.
3. Emphasizing outward form.
4. Tending to judge.
5. Depending on formulas.
6. Depending on authority and control.
7. Over-relying on sheltering.
8. Not passing on a pure faith.
9. Not cultivating a loving relationship with our children.