- First, from the Bible, the book of Isaiah.
Among other books:
- Sinclair B. Ferguson, The Pundit’s Folly (Banner of Truth, 1995).
An excellent devotional companion to the book of Ecclesiastes.
- Thomas Boston, Crook in the Lot (Christian Focus, 2002 [original, 1737]).
A Puritan divine studies suffering in the life of the believer.
- Jim Kjelgaard, The Coming of the Mormons (Random House, 1953).
This book is in the Landmark history series for older children. I usually love these but did not like this one. The author writes from a decidedly pro-Mormon position and distorts the historical record in telling the story of the western migration of Mormons under B. Young.
- Alvah Hovey, The Life and Times of the Rev. Isaac Backus (Gould and Lincoln, 1859).
This is a biography of the great early American Baptist leader. Interesting to see how Backus vacillated over the course of two years (1749-51) on baptism before leaving the Congregational Church and being baptized on August 22, 1751.
- C. H. Spurgeon, Lectures to My Students, Complete and Unabridged Edition (Zondervan, 1954).
Wow! This is a great book for pastors and for any growing Christian. Spurgeon conveys a passion for excellence in ministry--particularly in vibrant preaching and teaching of the Word.